Friday, August 17, 2007

Where's NAFTA Now That We Really Need It?

Wasn't NAFTA supposed to curb the onslaught of illegal entries to this country? Passed into law in 1993, we're going on 15 years of its effects. But instead of the American companies "offshoring" jobs to Mexico like good little capitalists, corporations went whole hog and actually went offshore - way offshore!

There are always unintended consequences, and I find it interesting that Asia (particularly India and China) is the biggest winner in the debacle known as the North American Free Trade Agreement.

I recall "discussions" with my economics professor about this kind of thing - his view that the most efficient means of creating a good was to manufacture it in the most economical place. I disagreed, believing that a country which does not produce hard goods cannot maintain a skilled labor force, will have little to export, will be dependent on other countries, and in general will be a loser on the global stage.

It is interesting to see how this is playing out; I'm sorry to see that I was probably correct.

No comments: